On 17/03/2017 2:08 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

. . .
I see no reason why this will not happen sooner or later. Machines are far from being able to do this now, because they have brains roughly the size of a bird's brain. Birds do not understand human language.
. . .
So I believed until quite recently. It appears that some birds can not only understand what you say but understand what you are *thinking* without you giving any visible or audible clue! They can also compose grammatically correct sentences in reply and all this with a brain the size of half a walnut!

Here is a video to tickle your interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UX4d2nb7yU
Here is the paper reporting all the precautions taken and statistical methods used to obtain the result:
http://www.sheldrake.org/research/animal-powers/testing-a-language-using-a-parrot-for-telepathy
Other papers by the same scientist are listed here:
http://www.sheldrake.org/research
You will notice that there are quite a few in very high impact journals including a review paper. (It is very difficult to author a review paper because they are almost always by invitation only, and you will only be invited after you have become the recognized expert of a particular field). So this is not some backyard ignoramus messing about, but a world-class scientist.

Mind blowing isn't it! You can also checkout some popular videos with information on some other areas of his research:
Dogs knowing when their owner leaves for home:
https://youtu.be/DkrLJhBC3X4
(He gives plenty more dog evidence but this segment was created in response to lies by a skeptic)
People knowing who has rung before they answer the phone:
http://youtu.be/_tQe7NXIcnw

I don't think machines will be able to duplicate what a bird brain can do, any time, ever. Machines which we can invent are things that we can understand almost completely. However consciousness, even animal consciousness, is something we will never understand sufficiently to create it, because it is a supernatural phenomenon.