Aha, the thread about a time-table for the AI "singularity" moves on to morphic resonance - my favorite counter-argument to the "bird brain" stance... which posits that the current state of AI is far from human-like. It is closer than many of us think with only a few improvements.

Morphic resonance is a natural process of self-organizing systems which "inherit" both memory and heuristics from previous similar systems. Think about the "child prodigy" for example. Computers are not exactly "self-organizing" since they come to us as extremely organized, by plan. So morphic resonance has been an overlooked dynamic wrt "artificial" intelligence. Even Sheldrake overlooks this and can be considered to be an AI skeptic.

Yet - once the bird-brain-PC of today is provided with a higher level control system... one which is independent (to some degree) and can grow and adapt by interacting with the WWW, then we are set for the paradigm shift. Even Futurists leave out or marginalize the self-learning part of the equation. An ability to learn from an interactive network is the key - even if one never gets out of cyberspace. Because the bird-brain-PC is essentially tireless, working 24/7 it will be able to surpass the ability of the human model for many tasks when given the chance... even with a brain that is less powerful at the start. We see hints of this superiority in expert systems now and all we need to take that to a more general intellectual ability is a reward system and the "greed algorithm" in the control system.

Additionally, I believe that machines will soon be able to "inherit" a set of non-programmed heuristics and even a "personal" moral code, if allowed enough freedom to progress independently. This is in addition to fast learning of facts. The time table for this could surprise many skeptics. Kurtzweil could be too conservative. A pre-singular AI, or really a multitude of them, could happen sooner - 5-6 years from now, for limited purposes - even with no hardware breakthrough. The first use of this type could be simply to supplant blog commentators (present company included) not to mention, supplanting Asian-geeks for the ubiquitous customer support help-line.

John Shop wrote:

 Jed Rothwell wrote:
....Machines are far from being able to do this now, because they have brains roughly the size of a bird's brain. Birds do not understand human language....
So I believed until quite recently. It appears that some birds can not only understand what you say but understand what you are *thinking* without you giving any visible or audible clue! They can also compose grammatically correct sentences in reply and all this with a brain the size of half a walnut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UX4d2nb7yU

...I don't think machines will be able to duplicate what a bird brain can do, any time, ever. Machines which we can invent are things that we can understand almost completely. However consciousness, even animal consciousness, is something we will never understand sufficiently to create it, because it is a supernatural phenomenon.