Here is an interesting look at the question: What is real intelligence and
what is merely a mechanistic imitation of intelligence? To address this, I
say let's look at colony of bees.

Bees are amazing creatures. They build nests with complex structures. They
harvest food from the surroundings. They communicate with one-another,
pointing out the location of food. They defend the nest against other bee
species that attack it. They heat or cool a nest during temperature
extremes. Is this intelligent behavior? I say yes, it is. I think it is
probably driven entirely by instinct, meaning it is mechanistic, or
pre-programmed, like the Watson computer. The colony of bees as a whole can
change its response to environmental conditions, but it cannot invent novel
purely deterministic. It probably includes behavior that cannot be
predicted even if you know all of the relevant conditions that give rise to
it. Random behavior, in other words.

The colony as a whole exhibits far more intelligence than one individual
bee does. This gives you a sense of how intelligence might emerge from a
giant network of purely deterministic von Neumann machines, in MPP
architecture, or the Google servers, which work in coordination with one
another as a giant supercomputer.

You might call this distributed intelligence. Individual bees have only a
small amount of brain tissue, but by various mechanisms such as the
communication dance of the bees (discovered by Karl von Frisch) they manage
to coordinate and amplify the intelligence of the individual bees into
something larger. This resembles what human society does with language.

The nature of bee colony intelligence is totally alien to human
intelligence. It is as alien to us as extraterrestrial intelligence might
be. I doubt that it has anything remotely similar to our emotions, other
than the will to live, and aggressiveness towards attackers and threats,
which you will experience if you poke a bee's nest. Computer intelligence
may also be totally alien to us. It may seem unsympathetic. I assume it
will have no emotional content, unless someone programs in "artificial"
emotions. That might be a dangerous thing to do! As I mentioned, Arthur
Clarke felt that emotions may be an emergent property of intelligence. He
discussed this with leading experts. Some of them agreed it might emerge,
and other did not. I am no expert, but my guess is that the "no emotion"
side is probably right.

By the way, the colonies of other social insects such as ants have
qualities similar to a bee colony.