>From Feynman's Lecture on Physics
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_14.html

<<We have spent a considerable time discussing conservative forces; what
about nonconservative forces? We shall take a deeper view of this than is
usual, and state that there are no nonconservative forces! As a matter of
fact, all the fundamental forces in nature appear to be conservative. This
is not a consequence of Newton’s laws. In fact, so far as Newton himself
knew, the forces could be nonconservative, as friction apparently is. When
we say friction apparently is, we are taking a modern view, in which it has
been discovered that all the deep forces, the forces between the particles
at the most fundamental level, are conservative.>>

Is he saying that if forces between particles are not fundamentally
conservative this will result in a violation of CoE? If so, I don't think
this is true. For example with regard to friction, it is still possible to
speak confidently about the CoE and say that kinetic-energy is converted
into heat-energy without needing to have an underlying theory of
heat-energy. Something similar happens with the the relation E = mc^2. We
accept that mass and energy are interconvertible and we don't seem to need
an underlying model of mass-energy to speak confidently about CoE.
Therefore, it seems to me more a matter of aesthetics than of logic that
all forces should be modeled as conservative forces at the most fundamental
level.

Harry