This is a fun discussion, Jones, but an important aspect of this troubles
me.  You are likening UDD, UDH with sub-ground-state hydrogen; and the way
Holmlid defines UDD/UDH, they are unrelated phenomena.  Holmlid describes
UDD/UDH as forming (near reversably) from Rydberg matter, a well above
ground state quasi-molecule or condensed matter particle of hydrogen.  In
fact, each of the atoms in this Rydberg matter are on the verge of
ionization!  So, the overall Hamiltonian for this Rydberg matter is just
slightly lower than for the same number of atoms each in a Rydberg state -
that's why the Rydberg matter is meta-stable, because there is a local
minimum of the Hamiltonian.  Yet Holmlid goes on to say that the Rydberg
matter can spontaneously switch (approximately reverse-ably) to the UDD/UDH
compact form, implying that the Hamiltonian for the compact form is nearly
equivalent to that of the high energy Rydberg matter form.  Now, compare
this to the Hamiltonian for a sub-ground-state hydrogen atom (hydrino or
Maly/Vavra, Meulenberg, Paillet... shrunken hydrogen).  The shrunken
hydrogen will have a much smaller Hamiltonian than the UDD/UDH
Rydberg-related matter.  In fact, the shrunken hydrogen has an energy
deficit below the hydrogen ground state that is greater than the excited
energy of the Rydberg state above the ground state.  Rydberg matter does
have enough angular momentum to have a photon exchange where, as SVJ has
said (I remembered), there is not enough angular momentum in the shrunken
hydrogen to exchange a photon.  UDD/UDH and shrunken hydrogen are two
completely different hypothetical things.

While the shrunken hydrogen has insufficient angular momentum for photon
exchange, I would be interested to hear discussion on whether shrunken
hydrogen can interact with phonons.  Would it require shrunken hydrogen
condensed matter to interact with phonons?  Can shrunken hydrogen condensed
matter interact with phonons in ordinary condensed matter?  Would that
phonon coupling be evanescent?