At LENR Forum a mysterious person calling himself "me356" claims that he
replicated Rossi. He claims to have a multi-kilowatt reactor that produces
many times more than input. I have not been paying close attention because
he refuses to publish technical details. My policy is to ignore such
claims. The other day he said he is no longer using nickel because of
"patent considerations." That is absurd. There are no viable patents
relating to Ni-H cold fusion, and even if there were there is plenty of
leeway to improve on them.

I would dismiss all of this as blather and nonsense and not mention it here
except that me356 has agreed to allow from the MFMP to test his device as a
black box. That is laudable. Even if the test does not produce a clear-cut
result, me346 deserves a great deal of credit for allowing it. I will have
to take back my criticism of him.

MFMP's test plans are here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qbG-p8qKbuFnPOdkm0XgwJpUvzHSvWM84-geOCF38pw/edit

They plan to bring a great deal of equipment to perform many tests. Perhaps
their plans are too ambitious, but it is better to bring too much equipment
than not enough. If they are only able to do one test that may be enough.
If it is positive they can always do follow-up tests.

I suggested that they might want to start by sparging the steam. This test
can be done quickly without installing a heat exchanger. It does not take
much equipment. It takes only: a 55 gallon (200 L) trashcan, a thermometer,
a large weight scale or a bucket to measure the volume of water, and a
stopwatch. It can be done in about 30 minutes.

Input power is 1 kW and output is reported to be 8 kW:

1 kW = 14.34 kCal/minute
8 kW = 115 kCal/minute

With 200 L of water, if there is no excess heat the temperature will rise
0.07°C per minute, or ~2.1° after 30 minutes. You can barely measure that.
It would probably be lost in the noise with stirring. If output is 8 kW,
the temperature goes up 0.6°C per minute and after 30 minutes it should be
about 18°C hotter, which you cannot miss.

If this test works you can go on to do more complicated flow calorimetry
with a heat exchanger.