One of the cool things about cold fusion in a 500 year outlook is that it
makes for a very ineffective weapon.   Even fire is a more effective weapon.

You know why potatoes became a crop of choice in Europe?   Because when a
king's army sieged your castle and burned your crops, there were still
potatoes in the ground that you could eat and you wouldn't starve to death.

Why did the Spanish overtake a continent with a few thousand men while the
Vikings were vanquished 500 years earlier?   Because the Spanish had
FIREarms.   They had harnessed gunpowder (for evil purposes, albeit).

In 500 years there will be LENR cars, widespread cheap desalination, and
Cold Fusion powered spacecraft.