Rossi is not as sure footed as he lets on. His small low temperature
reactor cluster did not work at the start of the 1 year test. Rossi had to
substitute the quad 250,000 watts tiger reactor cluster. To this day, Rossi
still doesn't understand why those small low temperature reactors failed to
function.

Without understanding the underlying theory that underpins his technology,
Rossi must use trial and error. Like a mouse in a maze each day can bring a
wrong turn that can result in failure.  Yet Rossi projects a facade of
confidence and defiance. This state of ever present insecurity must be
 hard to conceal from his competitors, his supporters and especially his
detractors.