Here is a handy quote that I have long been meaning to transcribe. This is from Asimov's "Foundation" in which Lord Dorwin discusses his "research" into finding the original planet of mankind, which turns out to be reading speculation piled upon speculation in tertiary sources, instead of actually examining the physical evidence or at least reading original sources: Hardin remained silent for a short while. Then he said, 'When did Lameth write his book?' 'Oh -- I should say about eight hundwed yeahs ago. Of cohse, he has based it lahgely on the pwevious wuhk of Gleen.' 'Then why rely on him? Why not go to Arcturus and study the remains for yourself?' Lord Dorwin raised his eyebrows and took a pinch of snuff hurriedly. 'Why, whatevah foah, my deah fellow?'
  'To get the information firsthand, of course.'
'But wheah's the necessity? It seems an uncommonly woundabout and hopelessly wigmawolish method of getting anywheahs. Look heah now, I've got the wuhks of the mastahs -- the gweat ahchaeologists of the past. I wigh them against each othah -- balance of the disagweements -- analyze the conflicting statements -- decide which is pwobably cowwect- and come to a conclusion. That is the scientific method. At least' -- patronizingly -- 'as I see it. How insuffewably cwude it would be to go to Ahctuwus, oah to Sol, foah instance, and blundah about, when the old mastahs have covahed the gwound so much moah effectually than we could possibly hope to.' Readers here have all encountered this version of the scientific method. This is how most scientists nowadays try to judge cold fusion and many other topics. This also describes the methodology used to write Wikipedia, in which authors eschew "original research" and depend mainly on books and news articles which (at least in the case of cold fusion) are usually written by twits who are as ignorant as the authors themselves. The blind leading the blind!

Along the same lines, Ed Storms has remarked on the peculiar modern habit of entrusting peer-reviewed journal editors to do your thinking for you. Journals were originally intended as a convenience: as a pragmatic way to filter out substandard articles that are badly written and likely wrong. Some people have gone far beyond this to the point where they will not believe a claim unless it is printed in Science or Nature. That's treating journals as Holy Scripture, and editors such as Maddox as High Priests.