It seems tha the scientific community have not slipped, but is in "normal
science" mode, as Thomas Kuhn explain...
if you cannot integrate the fact in the know paradigm, adjust a detail
keeping the main paradigm, then last alternative is denying facts...

when facts cannot be ignored, because you no more need a PhD to be sure of
the result, then they have to adapt...

until then, like a turkey in the death row, they gain time with imaginary
problems...

standard.