I agree that most people run into a mental roadblock when they try to
understand how thermal input that is of much smaller magnitude than that which
is generated by the ECAT is capable of controlling the reaction.  It seems
obvious that a small portion of the output could simply find its way back to
replace that initial input and keep the device moving toward thermal run away.

I admit that I had the same concerns when I first began modeling the process a
couple of years ago.  My expectations were that I would witness thermal run
away as expected, but Rossi spoon fed us with tiny hints suggesting that a COP
of 6 was the best he could achieve and I asked myself why this limit and not a
lower one.  So, I generated a model to achieve a better understanding of the
process.

Rossi also spoke of a duty cycled power input waveform and even described it in
details.   We have always suspected that he tends to feed misinformation to
confuse competitors so I took this information with a great deal of skepticism.
  So, I constructed a simple toy spice model and let it run while I varied the
major parameters.  To my initial amazement, I was able to achieve control of
the positive feedback process while calculating a COP that was in the vicinity
of 6!   The COP can be modified over quite a range of values while stable
operation was possible, but the greater the total COP, the closer to thermal
destruction he has to operate.   To have his device run with the desired COP of
6 required a high degree of accuracy in maintaining the core temperature peak
value and a small error would result in loss of control with simple thermal
feedback from a heat source.  An active controller using strong cooling would
be much more stable when using a good algorithm.

The key process parameter I discovered when playing with my models is that
positive feedback can allow the core temperature to move in both directions.
That is, the temperature can be increasing ever faster or can be decreasing
ever faster as the feedback gains ground.  This behavior suggests that
operation at this fine balance point might be possible and it only requires a
tiny amount of drive heat energy if tightly controlled.

The balance point occurs when the thermal energy being generated by the core at
its operating temperature is exactly equal to the energy being extracted by the
external system.  The thermal mass of the core and other components smooth out
and delay the temperature movement and allow the controller sufficient time to
act.  Furthermore, as long as the internally generated heat energy of the core
is slightly less than the demand from the load, the core will begin to cool off
when the drive heat power is turned off.

I hope this short description of how I model the ECAT operation helps to
clarify the process.   If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.

Dave