Jed,

Does it count as a kill if there is no evidence left?

"Ivanpah employees and OLE staff noticed that close to the periphery of the
tower and within the reflected solar field area, streams of smoke arise
when an object crosses the solar flux fields aimed at the tower. Ivanpah
employees use the term 'streamers' to characterize this occurrence.

"When OLE staff visited the Ivanpah Solar plant, we observed many streamer
events. It is claimed that these events represent the combustion of loose
debris, or insects. Although some of the events are likely that, there were
instances in which the amount of smoke produced by the ignition could only
be explained by a larger flammable biomass such as a bird. Indeed, OLE
staff observed birds entering the solar flux and igniting, consequently
becoming a streamer.

"OLE staff observed an average of one streamer event every two minutes. It
appeared that the streamer events occurred more frequently within the
'cloud' area adjacent to the tower. Therefore we hypothesize that the
'cloud' has a very high temperature that is igniting all material that
traverses its field."