From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson [orionwo...@charter.net]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 7:05 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:[OT] But not entirely: Book: CAPITAL in the Twenty-First Century,
by Thomas Piketty

Vorts,

A book recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Twenty-First-Century-Thomas-Piketty/dp/067443000X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398126885&sr=1-1&keywords=capital+in+the+twenty-first+century

http://tinyurl.com/l77z5og

I suspect we are likely to hear a lot more about a popular book on economics
called "CAPITAL in the Twenty-First Century", by Thomas Piketty. The author has
become somewhat of rock-star celebrity in many economic circles, as well as a
pariah in others.  The fact that his book has effected so many readers so
quickly, both pro and con, suggest to me that Pketty is probably on to
something serious, and we should take note. We in the USA have only begun to
hear about Piketty's 700+ page book because it has only recently been
translated from French (his native language) into English. In a nutshell,
Piketty claims the growing inequality of wealth distribution is due primarily
to a single economic action:

When the rate of return on capital—the annual income it generates divided by
its market value—is higher than the economy’s growth rate, capital income will
tend to rise faster than wages and salaries, which rarely grow faster than
G.D.P.

...and where does all of this accumulated "capital" end up? Well, that is the
question!

To quote the New Yorker review:

"If ownership of capital were distributed equally, this wouldn’t matter much.
We’d all share in the rise in profits and dividends and rents. But in the
United States in 2010, for example, the richest ten per cent of households
owned seventy per cent of all the country’s wealth (a good surrogate for
“capital”), and the top one per cent of households owned thirty-five per cent
of the wealth. By contrast, the bottom half of households owned just five per
cent. When income generated by capital grows rapidly, the richest families
benefit disproportionately. Since 2009, corporate profits, dividend payouts,
and the stock market have all risen sharply, but wages have barely budged. As a
result, according to calculations by Piketty and Saez, almost all of the income
growth in the economy between 2010 and 2012—ninety-five per cent of it—accrued
to the one per cent."

The New Yorker Review:
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/03/31/140331crbo_books_cassidy?currentPage=all

According to my understanding a major reason inequality of wealth in places
like the United States is getting worse and will continue to get worse unless
something is done about it soon, according to Piketty, is the fact that massive
amounts accumulated wealth are now being passed down from generation to
generation. The trend for inherited wealth is increasing. Those who have
accumulated massive amounts of capital (and the power that goes along with it)
have been able to successfully rewrite the tax code. Inheritance taxes and
other taxation equalizer mechanisms that in the past helped redistribute the
tendency for wealth to accumulate like cancerous tumors that could eventually
kill the host have been rendered useless. How did this happen? Politics of
course! Piketty states that economics and politics can't be separated from each
other.

More from the New Yorker:

"Piketty believes that the rise in inequality can’t be understood independently
of politics. For his new book, he chose a title evoking Marx, but he doesn’t
think that capitalism is doomed, or that ever-rising inequality is inevitable.
There are circumstances, he concedes, in which incomes can converge and the
living standards of the masses can increase steadily—as happened in the
so-called Golden Age, from 1945 to 1973. But Piketty argues that this state of
affairs, which many of us regard as normal, may well have been a historical
exception. The “forces of divergence can at any point regain the upper hand, as
seems to be happening now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century,” he
writes. And, if current trends continue, “the consequences for the long-term
dynamics of the wealth distribution are potentially terrifying.”

A real irony here is the fact that a couple of centuries ago our forefathers
escaped Europe to get away from the unfairness inherited accumulated wealth
wreaked on those who by birthright had not been bequeathed a pile of cash. And
now, we are on the brink of recreating the very same specter we attempted to
escape from. Needless to say, wealth inequality is one of the major causes of
messy revolutions. A lot of people end up getting killed before the dust
settles.

Regardless of what side of the fence one might be on, I suspect we are going to
hear a lot more about the ramifications  of Piketty's observations very soon.
I'm sure the debate will cause some interesting polarization.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
svjart.orionworks.com