This is not a violation of thermodynamics, but a failure to identify the
true starting total energy state which must include the fractional Rydberg
states of the atoms if such states exist.  Yeong Kim's paper describes his
solution to the wave equation for sub-ground states and his solution says
they don't exist at deep levels.  Such analyses begin with assumptions and
Yeong's could be wrong (or not).  He presumed that the general solution
would have to be continuous, but it is possible that the solution is
discontinuous.  I have not read what I consider to be the final word on the
(non)existence of the f/R and DDL hydrogen states.

If I recall correctly, in Ed's first book, he did not completely dismiss
Mills' work.

Bob