Hi Kevin,

This is from an older thread, but the comment did not get through.

Basically, it is this. What is wrong with a COP of 1.68 on the early rounds of
development of a new technology?

It is almost as if Vortex, with all the claims floating around, has become
jaded by expectation levels of COP which are unrealistic. I would love to see a
Rossi device, or Mills device, or Mizuno device confirmed at COP 1.68, so long
as this number was rock-solid … as in a rocket thruster, since there is more to
the advantage than energy gain.

Basically – Any confirmed OU level over 1 - would overturn about half of
physics; and is up there with the most significant inventions of all time. And
we have to assume that a first prototype of any thruster is below the eventual
level. But anyway - for rocketry – NASA is not as concerned with OU as with

“specific impulse”.

The important figure of merit for this thruster then becomes:

For the BLP Rocket engine, a maximum theoretical Isp of 21,000 seconds is
predicted as compared to approximately 500

seconds for an H2/O2 chemical rocket.

That is huge. Of course, this “predicted” figure may contain the usual Mills
hype, since the Rowan demo was not really “independent”. Mills and Janssen are
reported to be personal friends.

But with the possibility that the 40:1 thrust improvement (isp) when looked at
in a finished rocket is only 4:1 improvement, in reality (i.e. if we reduce the
BS level by a factor of 10) NASA should have stuck with this device IMO even if
the COP was not extravagant.

Hmm….Perhaps they did stick with it… and the project is now black. Black as in
Morgan Freeman’s role in “Chain Reaction” … okay… that was only Hollywood and
that kind of thing seldom happens, right …

From: Kevin O'Malley

COP was from 1.06 to 1.68.  No wonder they never pursued it.

Take a close look at Janssen’s microwave thruster at Rowan – how could NASA not
have jumped on that?