Kevin,

Apparently you have your fixed concepts of how the universe began and have a
difficult time relating to flexible ideas.  The reason I asked about 1 billion
years before the big bang was to open discussion about the problem now facing
our understanding of time before that event.  It was just rhetorical.

How can you be sure that time or the universe has not been existing forever?
Reference to the bible is not scientific and I know you are aware of that.  If
you choose to think otherwise, then let others among us think with an open
mind.  Is it your intent to stop creative thought?

Please explain how you can prove that the universe truly began approximately
13+ billion years ago.  The measurements that have been conducted are
continually subject to correction.  Unless God speaks directly to you then you
are merely speculating.

Have you looked into the time dilation expected to occur near black hole event
horizons?  Most black holes are not considered to have a mass that is anywhere
near as great  as the entire universe yet they are capable of bringing time to
a standstill.  On what basis do you claim that there is insufficient mass
within the universe to reach that threshold?   Perhaps you should review your
statement and offer correction.

Do you consider the universe to be contained within some physical boundary?
Please show me a sound basis for this belief and just because we can not see
beyond a certain distance does not mean that it doesn't exist outside of our
viewpoint.   I am just speculating that time behaves in a similar manner.  Why
limit it to some well defined starting point just because we can not prove so
far that it exists prior to that point.  Unfortunately we are quite limited in
our ability to understand the true nature of the universe.

I appreciate people that want to contribute to the discussions but when someone
comes forward with an attitude of ridicule, it is preferable that they keep
their negative thoughts to themselves.   Your comments typically fall into that
negative category.  Try to look at the positive aspects of issues and most of
us will respond in a like manner.

Dave