Who knows what will happen. $2K cars? Tiny small single-seater vehicles for
commuters to drive to work or to the grocery store. Self driving cars? Yea,
very likely too. Transportation will evolve. Collectively, we will determine
the best course of action. Very few individuals on their own have the capacity
to predict what will eventually happen. The unpredictable collective principals
of emergence will drive this one, not any single individual.

Perhaps a little bit of synchronicity will play mysteriously into the mixture
as well. For example...

Years ago I was visiting Portland. While there I went into Powells Bookstore. I
was wandering aimlessly down a dark isle my hand reached out for a book. I'm
not sure what it was about this book that initially caught my eye. However,
when I picked it out I noticed the author had spent some time studying the
social behavior of ants. He spent some time studying these creature because he
was researching the rules of emergence and how those rules play out within
complex societies. The mysterious rules of emergence work with all kinds of
living creature from all scales, from brain cells, insects, all the way up to
humans crammed within a city environment. The subject of ants combined with the
concept of emergence piqued my interest. I recalled as a young teenager I had
studied the hive minded behavior of social insects - like ants. I managed
several ant farms which included the queen. Sometimes I spent hours watching
the collective behavior of these creatures with a powerful magnifying glass.

Returning back to the present I was curious as to who the author was. Was it
anyone I knew?

Here is the author talking about his book on emergence at a TED talk:

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_johnson_on_the_web_as_a_city?language=en

Other than the fact that I could not rid myself of a feeling that the equally
mysterious rules of synchronicity had perhaps played an amusing game with my
psyche, the author bares no relation with me whatsoever. Granted, I realize I'm
anthropomorphizing the behavior of the Universe. But what the hell. The
universe plays tricks with me all the time.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.orionworks.com

zazzle.com/orionworks