> Anyway I can't possibly agree with Hugh's statement about C# being the same as VB!  It's much closer to C++/Java

Well, partly it's to be controversial :-)  but I cant help thinking that C# is a genius marketing from Microsoft for Visual Basic.  VB has generally been an excellent language for business applications - especially the frontend GUIs - because its fairly quick to write things in, and who cares if it runs a bit more slowly?

However, VB has zero streetcred (negative streetcred perhaps?), so even though the VB of today offers full classes, objects and so on, no-one wants to be seen dead writing it.  That's despite the fact that many people find C++ pretty challenging, what with all those pointers and things which, lets face it, are really a pain in the butt :-/

So, along comes C#.  It sounds like C++, it looks like C++, but it's easy like VB.  Suddenly people can program in VB whilst having street-cred.  What an awesome combo!  So, there we go, all cred to Microsoft for an awesome bit of marketing there!

Not really on topic, but good for a short debate perhaps :-)

Hugh