I've spent this weekend moving into my new apartment, and I don't have internet for my desktop yet (on my laptop I'm "borrowing" the upstairs neighbor's wireless for the time being). However, when I get a chance I will set up ter'angreal to compile in unicode mode on Debian; I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried compiling in unicode on Windows once, and it failed miserably because Crystal Space can't (or couldn't) handle the Unicode/wide-character versions of the win32 API. So I'm not sure what the status of unicode on Windows is going to be, it may or may not be possible to isolate the unicode-using wxwidgets from the rest of CS. Debian doesn't have this problem because the standard encoding is UTF-8, which is backwards-compatible with ASCII.

A related, larger issue is internationalization of VOS in general. I'm not sure where to go with that, although Reed mentions one issue which is including the text encoding in places like property datatypes and talk messages. We would also want to use gettext to support translations for the UI of user apps like Ter'Angreal.

I should be getting internet set up at my apartment on thursday, so I'll be able to start working on VOS again. In the mean time I need to finish unpacking :-)