And so says Reed Hedges on 07/09/05 10:02...
> (1) it's an extra pain in the neck for developers (i.e.
> programmer-users) to worry about, especially coming from worlds like
> C and descendents where the notion of non-ascii character sets are a
> very recent addition and not a natural part of the language

I'd agree, if we were talking about C.  But we're talking about C++.
You can just have different setProperty or whatever methods that get
single-byte std::string, and multibyte... eh... what's the class for
that? :-)  whatever.

Oooh, interesting thought.  Would types and contextual names be allowed
to be unicode too?

> and (2) if we add the extra "encoding" field, then we can put off
> actually transitioning to unicode (or whatever) by saying that
> currently the only valid encoding is ascii.

Is that worth the trouble?  If we're not ready to go unicode, just don't
change the protocol yet.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
http://www.exoweb.net/                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]