On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 16:41 -0500, Peter Amstutz wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>
> > Suppose you have a file foo/bar/file. foo/bar/file gets deleted. The
> > foo/bar branch becomes foo/baz. Time passes. Maybe foo/baz becomes
> > bar/boo. You realize you need file. But you won't be able to retrieve it
> > as bar/boo/file--no way. You'll have to remember where it was when it
> > you deleted it.
>
> If this is really the fundamental problem with SVN branching, I guess I
> fail to see how this is a problem -- yes, recovering deleted files can be
> a pain in the ass, but it's also a pain in the ass with CVS.  You need to
> know when and where to find the file you're trying to recover anyways, so
> why is figuring out the path at that point in time so difficult?

Because all you have to go by is the root-level change log and, if
you're lucky, memory.

With CVS, you don't change the repository structure to branch. So things
stay right where you left them.

> Alright, I suppose I could see how this might get tricky if you have a
> branch of a branch of a branch, but that would assume development on a lot
> of parallel versions.  Which, if you're cross-merging, is going to be
> sticky any way you do it.

There are revision control systems that handle this a lot better than
svn. cvs isn't one of them; it's only marginally better in that branches
are tags that track a lineage rather than being part of a lineage.

> > svn is remarkably little help with things like this. Using the directory
> > structure to model branching was simply the Wrong Answer. And I fear svn
> > has gone to far down that road to turn back.
>
> Perhaps I'm just being narrow-minded (in fact I'm sure I am, since I
> haven't sat down and tried out any other ways of doing branching) but if
> it is the Wrong Answer, perhaps I just don't know what the question is.

Well, the question is "How does one best support parallel development?"
I don't think there's a conclusive answer to that; but I am confident
that a solution that results in fragmented history is out of the
running.

> The discussion is academic, anyway.  At the moment, we arn't using
> branching in VOS at all.  So some kind of branching, even less than ideal,
> is better than none.  As for local, client-side versioning, there is SVK
> and also "Tailor" that Lalo mentioned, that allow interfacing subversion
> with other systems.

A project that doesn't have much demand for parallel development will
probably not feel cramped by svn's limitations.

> I'm supprised this is such a contentious issue.  It's almost like we were
> discussing which operating system is best or something :-)

Let me be clear: I do not have any opinion on the revision control
software VOS uses. Choose what *you* think will work for *you* best. I'm
just offering my opinion of svn based on three years of use on a fairly
large project with a team of 5-8 developers. Your needs may differ.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>