Here are some ideas I had on revamping the web site.

Graphic Design
--------------

* Change the background to white or another light color. Maybe change
the main content area to a different shade too, rather than current grey.

* A set of background/side illustrations, that convey some of the more
general themes of VOS and Interreality -- interconected things;
multifaceted stuff; distributed structures -- but also look cool and
have a "computer graphics" style to them.

Pages
-----

It's great that the site runs on hypervos. Maybe we want to keep it, or
maybe we want to switch to something else then go back to it.  It would
be great to have text in Vobjects that can be reused on multiple pages.
  One possability is to use a wiki for all the pages, and then
transition back to hypervos once S5 is ready for it.   We could have
some pages consist of more free form brainstorming and draft
documentation like the current wiki, and some pages be the more public
facing webpages, but those pages could be smaller but interlinked.  More
detail below.

If we use a wiki for the main pages, we'd need to hide all the meta wiki
stuff.

I'm also planning on figuring out how to set up a somewhat customized
drupal site for a different project, so if that works out maybe we could
use that.

Sections
--------

I don't think we really need a hierarchy [with the exception of "About",
see below], at least for the "public facing" aspect.  These links can be
listen in a little table or grid at the top of the page, like they are
now (but set in a grid so they line up nicely, perhaps with logical
groping/separation).

* About [See below]
* Screenshots
* News [redirects to forum announcements]
* Download
* Docs

* Forums
* Mailing Lists
* IRC
* Servers [not at first, but eventually link to running servers]

* Bugz
* Contact

About Section
-------------

This is where we explain what the heck Interreality is, and "sell" it.
One thing we could do is have a set of short descriptions, each aimed at
a different kind of person who might be interested, or describe in
general terms how you might approach solving particular problem or
implementing a type of idea using VOS.

Docs
----

Here we have short articles that explain how to do specific programming
tasks with VOS (howto's), as well as the reference manuals.  We should
probably take S5 as an opportunity to split up the reference manuals, to
have one for each library.

I don't know if we should just update the "Creating Interreality"
manual, or split it up into smaller documents.  I'm inclined to split it
up a bit, or at least separate the "VOS Design" document from the more
practical program/how-to manuals.