Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to set the svn:ignore property.
>
> There's a repository that includes a directory:
>
>    smarty/templates_c
>
> with lots of 'stuff' in it.  I'd like for svn to ignore anything in this
> directory.  I'd also like svn to ignore any file in the repository that ends
> with ".swp" (vim swap files).
>
> I tried:
>
>    svn propset svn:ignore 'smarty/templates_c/*'

The property svn:ignore can be found on the directory containing what
you want to ignore.

If the templates_c directory is a directory in your repository, then you
want to do as follows:

svn propset svn:ignore '*' smarty/templates_c

If templates_c is not a directory in your repository, then do as follows:

svn propset svn:ignore 'templates_c' smarty

It may be less confusing to use svn propedit as follows

svn propedit svn:ignore smarty
(enter the desired wildcards into the editor)

Here's a cool little bash script I use to set svn:ignore in directories
containing LaTex files:

#!/bin/bash
svn propset svn:ignore "$(svn propget svn:ignore .)
*.blg
*.aux
*.log
*.pdf
*.dvi
*.ps
*.bbl
*.swp" .

(note the multiline string)

svn propget works even when the property hasn't been set before.

--Ken