Rob,

I have used the current stable version of Voyage with gps and ntp to get
current time sync many times.  The gps/ntp solution that works for me, and
is documented on their site, uses gpsd 2.32+ (http://gpsd.berlios.de/) and
SiRf3 GPS, which can be had USB or serial, although gpsd supports lots of
GPS hardware.  gpsd is very helpful for parsing position data into useful
forms as well as dealing with the ntp stuff.  The ntp.conf tweaks are
documented at http://gpsd.berlios.de/gpsd.html and look something like this:

server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.420 refid GPS

server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.1 refid GPS1

This will not necessarily give you stratum 1 time server, although you can
get close in you mess with the pps stuff, but it will be within a second or
less at all times.

If you are looking for a good waterproof GPS for outdoor use, based on
SiRf3, these guys make a good one we have used lots of times before in
embedded systems with Voyage and gpsd:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=60

Cheers,

- Michael