Sandy Ressler wrote:
> Bingo! You got that one right...VRML is an output medium, a technology
> for displaying 3D graphics over the web. Storytelling is a motivation
> for many people involved with this technology but is quite separate.

He :P Have to stick my nose in here for a second (well need something
else to think about for a moment:)

<my 2 euros>

I don't know Sandy, but I sort of dissagree on that a little bit. IMHO
and to me it's the fundamental difference in the defenition of the word
"storytelling" that is somewhat confused here. The defenition of
storytelling I'm working by now (and which is also the very base on what
I work with) is somewhat more information orientated. In simple
(abstract) words it would mean that it's the how we present some piece
of information to the viewer,
ie - The path of which we lay out the data which in its turn is the
ground for the information we want to communicate to our viewers (puhh,
you can start breathing again now:).
To me VRML is that very path. As it seem to me I often have several
possible ways to present the information in. The way I choose is pretty
much based on How (or the way) I want it to be presented and the way is
very much tech-oriented. This is where stuff like polygon counts, fps
etc etc comes into play.
Ok, I can agree on that we maybe shouldn't adjust the storytelling
itself from the type of media, but in real life you don't make money
that way I would say (at least not in the business I'm working in).

We normaly work with storyboards for our projects. The only difference
from the ones Disney (for example) use is that ours show a snapshot of
information in a surtain fraction of time state or maybe different views
of the same information(?).
If you would define the Disney version of story telling I think you
would still see very much resemblence. Even thought it's up to others
than me to define, my opinion about it is that you could see Disney
storyboards like a snapshot of the message (every Disney movie have a
message right) in a surtain augenblick.

> The development of technologies for their own sake is fine for pure
> engineer science types but the development of technologies driven by
> other motivations (storytelling, education, e-commerce) is much richer.

That is something I agree on. If we remeber what the *real* vision (or
at least the thing that join most of us) for VRML is (talking
cyberspace) it's not that very far from the thruth ither. That's maybe
why we so often seem to mix tech with philosofy in these community, like
on this very list?!

/Niclas
--
niclas olofsson               christian doegl virtual real-estate gmbh
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       breite gasse 3, a-1070 vienna