At 18:27 25/02/99 -0500, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>Hi, folks -
>
>I've put a new scene up in my ongoing work-in-progress "On an Alien Moon".

>       http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam/alienmoon/alienmoon.html

This is really great! There is a very nice atmosphere about this.

I agree with Dennis that the texture downloads are a bit of a problem, but
they were well worth waiting for. This is the sort of valuable work that
UMEL will help with.

I also agree with his point about the transports being too easily found. It
would be useful to put them out of sight of the initial landing point...
say, just over the other side of the rise. This would force the viewer to
look more at your very impressive scenery. Even if you used "breadcrumbs"
to entice the viewer there. However, I must add that making things very
hard to find is more of a deterrent to people than is generally known...
and what is the use of producing beautiful atrwork if almost nobody gets to
see it because fitting the puzzle together is too hard? I love to explore
worlds -- I am not that interested in solving puzzles (but that is just me).

An extended story would add to the flavor and interest too. Yeah, right.
:-) this is like me saying you need another kind of masterpiece to go with
this masterpiece.  :-)  (But it would be nice.)

A smaller window would also make movement easier on a slower machine. The
only problem with doing that of course, is that you lose a lot of the
impact of your gorgeous artwork. Perhaps a choice could be given to the
viewer to choose the trade-off between detail and speed suitable for their
machine. Yeah, I know you can resize your window manually, but I have never
seen anyone else actually do that to enhance frame rates... and many people
possibly don't even know it can speed up worlds.

You have alien ideas down pat. I loved the rock that got smaller as I tried
to stand on it. Making that a transporter is a neat idea. And Dennis is
right that the people in the flying bubbles on the planet have a story
itching to be told.

Excellent stuff Paul. Thankyou and keep going.

Cheers,

        - Miriam

I doubt, therefore I might be.