Some combination of the kind of system Andy Best put up for creating
avatars with the same approach to stock sets, gesture types, and then
getting the text and sound to the screen would be ideal.  IOW, components.
Community theatres usually don't build everything from scratch.  The
problem has been having to do months of VRML work before the
story could be done or finalized.  What is needed is closed to the
improv world where sets and characters can be quickly assembled
and scripted.  Then consider how series work.  Having to read text
while watching action is a bummer, but without good sync sound,
it is still doable given some attention to where text goes, how dense
it is, when the actions occur (as we have discussed, clever cameras).

The CyberTown morph hunt was funny.  In the middle of live events,
these morphs would popup, spout their polemics, do their tricks, then
run away.  The community had a contest to hunt them down.  It was
like performing for Ernie Kovacs.  Kovacs is a revelatory guy to study.
He was one of the first to quit treating TV like bad movies, and began
to exploit the media itself for its unique features (eg, taping a
kaleidoscope
to the end of a camera, pasting his hair down and hanging himself and
the camera upside down to do gravity defying skits).

Len Bullard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h