Mauro and I are considering the move from CVS to subversion for Wget's
version control.  Although switching to subversion is not entirely
uncontroversial, it has advantages that make it great food for
thought.

CVS's network usage is appalling.  I have a fairly slow upload link on
my ADSL (the measly 384/64 kbps is the norm here), and committing the
ChangeLog or any larger source file is a nightmare.  Subversion is
apparently smart enough to only upload the differences.  `cvs update'
is, for whatever reason abysmally slow, even when there are no changes
to merge.  Having to go to network for `cvs diff' is simply atrocious
(subversion keeps around a pristine copy of the source and simply
diffs against it) and seriously slows me down.  Then there are modern
features like atomic commits/updates, revisions that automatically
span over the whole source tree, sane handling of file renames,
sane(r) handling of branches, secure client authentication, etc., that
point to subversion.

There are other VC's to choose from, but the enticing things about
subversion are:

* It seems to be fairly stable and is now being used by some very
  large projects, including Apache, Samba, Mono, Zope, and (as of
  today) KDE.  So far they don't seem to be regretting the move.

* Its UI intentionally mimics CVS, while fixing the bogusness.  This
  is a boon for those of us used to CVS, "those of us" including the
  vast majority of free software developers.

* It is my impression that subversion is "boring" and "conservative"
  in the same sense in which Linux is boring -- it is striving not to
  implement the latest in academic research, but to have the features
  that are understood and have been tried elsewhere.  I appreciate
  that, and I believe it sets subversion apart from the more ambitious
  of the competing projects, the proponents of which are very loud on
  slashdot, but that seemed to be much less used in practice.

* It is apparently possible to migrate the entire CVS history of an
  existing project to subversion.  That way our history will not be
  lost.

I'd like to hear arguments pro and con.

I'm also interested in information about free svn hosting.
sunsite/dotsrc and savannah.gnu.org currently don't seem to be
offering subversion hosting.  There is www.berlios.de, but I have no
experience with them.