THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
September 12, 2002

Grace Hopper nanosecond
TODAY'S WORD: Grace Hopper nanosecond

See our definition with hyperlinks at
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci850361,00.html

In education, a Grace Hopper nanosecond is a prop used by a teacher
to help students understand an abstract concept. The teaching tool
got its name from the short lengths of telephone wire that Admiral
Grace Hopper used to give out at lectures. Admiral Hopper used the
11.87 inch-long wires to illustrate how in one billionth of second (a
nanosecond) an electronic signal can travel almost twelve inches. In
addition to being a gifted programmer, Admiral Hopper was quite
famous during her lifetime for her teaching skills. Admiral Hopper
believed that by providing the learner with a concrete analogy
already in their frame of reference, it was possible to absorb and
even understand an abstract concept that might otherwise be too
difficult to comprehend. Towards the end of her life, when asked
which of her many accomplishments she was most proud of, Admiral
Hopper replied, "All the young people I have trained over the years."

RELATED TERMS:

Grace Hopper
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213732,00.html

nanosecond
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212620,00.html

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

Grace Hopper is pictured here holding one of her famous nanoseconds.
http://www.norfolk.navy.mil/chips/grace_hopper/grace4.jpg

Grace Hopper often cautioned her programming students not to waste a
nanosecond.
http://www.gracehopper.org/gmh.html

______________________
THIS DAY IN IT HISTORY | September 12, 1993

At a trade show in Atlanta, Marc Andreessen, founder of Mosaic
Communications Corp., introduced the first Netscape browser,
originally called Mosaic Netscape.
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci212640,00.html

______________________
QUIZ #9 | Wireless

How much do you know about wireless technology? Take our quiz and
find out!
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci752723,00.html

______________________
CROSSWORD PUZZLE | #1

Try our latest IT learning tool! Improve your flexible thinking
skills.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/1,,sid9_gci849642,00.html

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] satellite news gathering
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci849644,00.html

[2] rack-mounted
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci847923,00.html

[3] transconductance
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214200,00.html

[4] HDMI
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci847398,00.html

[5] direct broadcast satellite
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci848373,00.html

:::::::::::::::::::  WHATIS.COM CONTACTS   :::::::::::::::::::

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER   :::::::::::::::::::::

Published by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unsubscribe from 'Word of the Day'
 - Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
>  or
 - Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register
 - Log in to edit your profile.
 - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
 - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish
   to unsubscribe from.
 - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile."