On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Ian Hickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> > > How can an author know which is appropriate?
> >
> > Erm, presumably because they're the author -- it seems quite valid to
> > for an author to be able to say "Just make this happen quickly, I don't
> > care about the quality" or "Take extra time to make this the highest
> > quality you can".
>
> It seems better for the browser to simply detect when the graphics burden
> being placed on the hardware by the page is too much to be done at high
> quality given the current load on the CPU, and for the browser to
> automatically drop down to a lower fidelity, higher speed rendering on the
> fly when appropriate.

So now we need to define levels of graphic burden? and at what level of
burden does the quality suffer? Seems just as hard to define. Having the
author explicit say "this has to be as high quality as possible" or "less
can be low quality" seems better and we have examples of other specs
offering the same kind of control.