I emailed some folks individually, but I suppose I should also make a
note here. At least Chrome, Firefox, and Safari have extended the HTML
parser beyond the HTML Standard with the addition of special parsing
rules for <rb> and <rtc> elements. (And slightly changed parsing rules
for <rp> and <rt> elements.)

Chrome uses HTMLUnknownElement for these elements, Firefox and Safari
use HTMLElement.

Firefox has also changed styling for these elements.

It's unclear to me what Edge has done.

>From this it seems pretty clear we should change the parsing rules,
for which the first commit of https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/101
provides my recommended solution. It's less clear to me we should be
changing anything else.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/