I read today's thread about <smell> and I disagree - we have a higher
priority to deal with.

We really need to replace RGB with RGBU:  red, green, blue, ultraviolet.
After all, some people have cones in their eyes to detect ultraviolet
light.  I believe the technical term is "tetrachromacy", or something like
that.  It's the reverse of color-blindness in a sense:  we're not serving
the full spectrum that some people can see!

Pros:
* This helps women who actually can distinguish the ultraviolet colors.
* Instead of 24 bits for color (a non-standard word size in computer
science), we could use 32 bits (which is much more common in computer
programming).
* The fourth argument in the color: and background-color rules, being
ultraviolet and thus beyond the normal range of vision, becomes optional.

Cons:
* Computer monitors aren't built to show ultraviolet colors.  (Here,
though, we'd get ahead of the hardware, and let vendors catch up.)
* Ultraviolet rays from the Sun have been shown to cause skin cancers... so
medical studies would have to be done to determine a safe maximum to emit
from the monitor.  The 255 level of ultraviolet should not come close to
that.

Why not infrared, to show warmth?  Because the RGB pattern goes from lower
frequencies to higher ones; to support infrared it would change to IRGB,
breaking backwards compatibility with RGB pretty badly.  Sorry, romantics:
your monitors must remain, at least on the surface, very cold.  Blame us in
the standards community for that.

Alex Vincent
Hayward, CA

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001