Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> writes:

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Михаил Гаврилов
> <mikhail.v.gavri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I propose to standardize locale settings (datetime,  number
>> delimeters) can be specified only by user via the operating system
>> settings. Sites should not change the locale that the user has chosen
>> for himself.
>
> There is a proposal to do that at
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/171 but it has not meaningfully
> progressed thus far.
>
> Note also that some sites go out of their way to localize form
> controls to fit the language of the site. To the extent they will use
> libraries rather than <input> and friends. Arguably they're wrong, but
> there are cases where that does make sense. And let's not forget that
> users often forget to set these settings properly, that's probably
> part of the reason why sites do that kind of thing.

In my experience, the “users might have forgotten to set this, so we
default to something that is not what the user asked for and create a
better user experience” is something that is often invoked by developers
that do this stuff, but I have never seen data for/against the claim. Do
you have evidence for/against it improving user experience on web pages?

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>