Hi Brenton, great to have you here.

From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-boun...@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of brenton
strine

> Is there a semantic element that can be used in a situation like this? If so,
> propose adding "label" to the specification for that element.
>
> Then again, maybe this most appropriately a <span>.

The question is largely about what you're trying to accomplish. What will be
interpreting your HTML's semantics? I can think of a few options:

- If this is part of a series of labeled paragraphs, perhaps you are looking
for dl/dt/dd
- A heading could indeed be appropriate in some cases
- strong is probably most generally what you are looking for. Indeed,
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#the-strong-element uses
it in the very first example ("Importance" and the "Example" paragraph after
that).
- If this is purely a stylistic label, span indeed makes sense.