Hi,

It seems that the LDA energy with the mBJ orbitals leads
to the correct stability ordering. This sounds interesting, but
is it for the right reason? In other words, is it because the shape of
the mBJ orbitals is more correct than with LDA/PBE/hybrid?
It's probably difficult to answer to this question. Beside this, in my
opinion, there is nothing wrong (technically or theoretically) in using
the LDA energies calculated with mBJ orbitals.

It's possible to use the PBE energy instead of LDA for the energy.
If you are using a recent version of WIEN2k which uses keywords
in case.in0 to specify the functional, then you need to specify
this for PBE energy with mBJLDA for the potential:
EX_PBE EC_PBE VX_MBJ VC_LDA

If your WIEN2k is too old to have keywords, then you have two possibilities:

1) Modify vxclm2.f in SRC_lapw0 such that the PBE energy is used
instead of the LDA energy. In principle the changes in the block
"(IGRAD .EQ. 28)" should be only this:
Replace
      exu=2.d0*(exupls + eclsd)
      exd=2.d0*(exdnls + eclsd)
by
      exu=2.d0*(exuppb + ecpbe)
      exd=2.d0*(exdnpb + ecpbe)

2) Restore your calculation (restore -f my_calculation), replace TOT by
KXC in case.in0, and then just execute "x lapw0" with LDA (ixc=5 in case.in0)
and then with PBE (ixc=13 in case.in0). In case.scf0, the LDA and PBE
xc-energy are printed (:EXC). Then subtract :EXC for LDA from your
previously calculated total LDA energy and add :EXC for PBE.

The mBJ parameters were calibrated such that the mBJLDA potential
reproduces at best the experimental band gaps. The energy was not
used at all in this procedure.

If my explanations are too complicated, then I will try to make
more clear.

F. Tran