Dear Wiki-research,

I'm starting to build the case here in Australia with some universities and
academic funding organisations that working with Wikipedia is a good and
important part of the educative role of an academic. I'm also conscious that
there are quite limited avenues for academics to be able to
professionally-justify the time they might devote to improving Wikipedia in
their relevant subject area. To that end, I'm beginning to float the idea of
a peer-reviewed journal for academics to write Wikipedia articles. [Note,
this is not the same as most discussions on this mailing list which are
about studying Wikipedia itself]. So, as this list is made up of a high
proportion of academics who have a strong interest in Wikipedia I thought
I'd like to pass the idea pass you too.

I've written up a first pass at the proposal here:
http://www.wittylama.com/2009/09/wikipedia-journal/ (and it's been copied
into the Strategic planning wiki proposals here
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Journal ). There are obviously
many issues to sort out not the least of which is funding and scope. But,
I'd like your feedback on whether you think it a feasible/desirable way to
enable greater academic participation in Wikipedia. I.e. by giving added
incentives (naming rights, non-editability) and a more familiar format, but
at the same time increasing the quality of Wikipedia without having to
change its policies or practices. At the same time I hope it would increase
the perceived legitimacy of Wikipedia by demonstrating that we care about
their expertise and also increases awareness of what free-culture and
free-licensing is all about (because the details of the cc-by-sa license
would need to be explained to the authors).

Just a suggestion, and I thought the people on this list might be the kind
of people who might like to recruit their friendly neighbourhood professor
to write for the first edition! :-)

All the best,
-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog