On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Peter Krautzberger <
peter.krautzber...@mathjax.org> wrote:

> @Derk-Jan could you give some background on your "MathJax is a nightmare"
> comment? Have their been specific reports or complaints? Or is this
> something specific out of development (like the float issue)? It seems
> MathJax is slower on Wikipedia than on other sites. Wikipedia's MathJax
> configuration is definitely not optimal, and it seems the integration into
> MediaWiki isn't either. I agree that the best first step is to replace the
> PNGs on the fly -- that's almost trivial and has no risk attached.

The float issue is irrelevant to this.

1: Wikipedia pages are complex. Thousands of nodes per page content and
often rather deep, all of which needs to be considered for MathJax.
2: We have multiple scripts that need to look at 'a lot of nodes'. MathJax
is not alone.
3: MathJax is simply complex. They are complex scripts, with a lot of
computations.
4: Wikipedia pages are a complex canvas. Every finished mathjax rendering
reflows the page. (which is a good idea actually in the case of MathJax,
but probably taxing the system)
5: MathJax does not currently make use of our ResourceLoader, because it
uses it's own scriptloaders. This however requires quite a few URL
connections (one of RL's primary function is script request bundling). I'm
not even sure if we can make it use ResourceLoader (the autostart of the
main MathJax script might be problematic here....). Also keeping all file
registrations in sync definitely would require a script or something to
keep it maintainable.

And last of all, we simply have a lot of people using the software for whom
a few kilobytes of traffic might already be noticeable on their
connections. The amount of complaints we in general get for adding
Javascript is already considerable, and those scripts are magnitudes
(factor 100x) smaller than MathJax, so i'm sure we would get a lot of
negative response from parts of the community.

There is definitely some room for improvement, but I doubt it will become
magnitudes faster within a few years.

DJ