I made a mistake, I had installed the 64bit version, had path probs
sometime back so uninstalled it.  When I re-installed, mistakenly
installed 32-bit version, and my paths were still not right (I need to make
sure the strawberry perl paths are before the cygwin paths; didn't see
the /strawberry/C/bin, added to the path.

Any reason why there are two separate trees @ installation?  Couldn't they
be combined?

BTW, on the 64bit a few kinks...

Trying to reinstall the 64-bit version now, but both of the
MSI's (strawberry-perl-5.12.1.0-64bit.msi) <https://www.ohloh.net/p/strawberry-perl/download?filename=strawberry-perl-5.12.1.0-64bit.msi>listed on the
versions page seem to be not-working.
1st) points to ohloh (dead), 2nd points to:
http://strawberryperl.com/download/5.12.1.0/strawberry-perl-5.12.1.0-64bit.msi
but is never coming back with a save-dialog.
I can download the .zip -- but what does the MSI do to 'install' it?
Seem I remembered some relocation operations whizzing by on my last install.

I went with defaults and ended up with a tree under /strawberry/perl.

I have a bunch of existing scripts that are shared with my linux systems.
They all start with:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

If I create a link to strawberry perl, should everything work correctly?

Thanks...

kmx wrote:
Hi Linda,

I'm new the the strawberry distro, and need to install a bunch of
CPAN modules.  It doesn't seem that it comes with the necessary
build utils to do so.

Is there a single-install that would install all the needed utils
to build the CPAN modules?

All the required tools (compiler, linker & co.) comes with strawberry perl,
they are installed always (you cannot choose not to install them) - so
providing you have installed 64bit strawberry perl (5.12.x) you have
installed all you need for building CPAN modules.

Depending on what installation procedure you have chosen - ZIP, MSI - there
might be a trouble with properly set PATH env variable.

Open a command prompt window (cmd.exe - neither powershell nor anything
else) type "set" and check whether you have the following dirs in your PATH
(in given order):
c:\strawberry\perl\site\bin
c:\strawberry\perl\bin
c:\strawberry\c\bin
(replace "c:\strawberry\" with a dir into which you have installed
strawberry perl)

From the same command promp you can check:
1. command "gcc --version" should return "gcc (GCC) 4.4.3"
2. command "perl -V:myuname" should return "Win32 strawberryperl 5.12.... x64"
3. command "dmake -V" should say "dmake - Version 4.12 (Windows / MinGW)"

To install any module from CPAN run from the same command prompt:
c:\> cpan -i Module::Name
(CPAN client in strawberry perl comes pre-configured, no need to setup
anything)

If you want do download and install a module manually it works similarly as
in cygwin just use "dmake" instead of "make" - so from command prompt:
c:\module-src> perl Makefile.PL
c:\module-src> dmake
c:\module-src> dmake test
c:\module-src> dmake install

All that said -- my real preference would be that all of strawberry and
the modules work on Win64, since I don't want to be limited to the 32-bit
sections of the registry and 32-bit redirections in the file system.

Just keep in mind that some modules that work fine on 32bit MS Windows do
not work well on 64bit MS Windows (check bug reports for particular module).

My biggest itch is in path separators.  While many Win utils handle "/"
as well as "\", some don't.  But even some (many?) system calls or api
calls handle either (registry accesses);  apparently MS-internal
programmers found using '\\' all over the place as noxious as anyone
else. Given most of their code was in 'C'-syntax compat languages.

The advice is simple - consistently use File::Spec functions/methods and
your scripts will work (more or less) across platforms.

A 64-bit BASH replacement would be REALLY appreciated, since there's
already a 64-bit 'Console2' version that could be using it -- with that,
anything I call can run in 64 (or 32-bit) mode, though by default, any
progs I call from the 32-bit bash get invoked in a 32-bit form (if they
work at all).  Many times, I am tracking down problems in scripts
and the problem  is that they stem from the 32-bit shell having
invoked a 32-bit version of some program or worse -- some registry or
file subtree that is redirected for 32-bit progs -- making me waste time
trying to figure out why it isn't giving me the 'right' answer as I
look at the tree with other 64-bit tool....*face-slap*.

If I can recommend - start using strawberry perl together with standard
command prompt (cmd.exe), this way it is known to work - this way it is
well tested.

--
kmx