John Emmas <john...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>         Can't locate XML/Parser.pm in @INC
>                 (@INC contains:
>F:\+GTK-SOURCES\gnu-windows\src\MB3Glibmm/tools/pm
>                 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/msys
>                 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8
>                 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/msys
>                 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
>                 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
>
>         etc, etc
>
>I'm assuming that "@INC" refers to an environment variable

Isn't it an array or some such, in perl?

(I know almost nothing about perl, but have Strawberry Perl installed on my
XP system to run an app someone else wrote).  Searching the Strawberry Perl
folders for "@INC" I find hits all over the place, but the ones in the most
basic libs are in eg \perl\bin ... which is where I'd expect to see anything
that defines 'includes' that the rest of perl will use.

> and the paths listed must be paths that get searched to find a file called
> "'XML/Parser.pm'.  As you can see, they're mostly Linux style paths so
> they wouldn't be relevant on my Windows 8 machine.

I wonder if perl modules refer to all the folders & subfolders within perl
using linux-style names, and that something else in a Windows install
converts those to Windows style folder names when needed.  If that's correct
it would mean that modules could be written in a more or less
platform-agnostic way.

So maybe those @INC values are correct, but for some reason haven't been
cosmetically tweaked into a windows format.

>I then searched my Windows 8 system for any file that contains the
>strings "site_perl", "INC" and "5.8.8".  The only one I could find was:-
>
>         C:\strawberry\perl\lib\CPANPLUS\Config.pm

But that's surely only relevant to CPANPLUS, whereas I'd expect the core
definition of @INC to be elsewhere.  Surely @INC (if it is what I think it
is) needs to be defined even before one installs CPANMINUS?

>So my best guess is that this is some kind of Perl configuration error.
>When I installed Strawberry Perl on my new Windows 8 box, should I have
>run some kind of config utility so that it would learn the relevant
>paths for my new machine?

Don't know; when I installed SP in my XP machine there was no config step to
run.  I installed SP itself, then CPANMINUS, then used cpanm to install
other modules.

Looking at my install notes, I wasn't originally sure whether to use the MSI
installer or ZIP or PortableZIP one.  I looked at the latter two (originally
wondering if I could install once into a shared drive and then run perl from
there on every machine).  For those installs there do seem to be scripts
that need run after one's unzipped stuff.  I ran the MSI installer.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.