I think you've got some things mixed up.

When you tried installing a CPAN.org module in an Active State PERL distro, it
didn't work. In my experience, Active State's perl does not work reliably with
CPAN modules.  So, a failed cpan module install in an Active State distro is no
surprise to me.

What you needed to do was remove Active State's PERL distro and double check
Active State cleared all their environment variables and reboot before
installing Strawberry Perl.

I ran install Win32::DirSize in cpan on one of my windows 2003 servers with no
problems.  It seems the package is light on tests (none) and doesn't include a
Makefile.PL.  It installed fine.

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:08 AM, CARL Hurley <carl.hur...@email.edcc.edu>