On 17.4.2014 13:49, John Emmas wrote:
On 17/04/2014 11:34, sisyph...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
.
This is one that comes up from time to time - it's not specific to Strawberry Perl, and has to do with file associations and something else .... a registry setting ? ... I can never remember the details, nor of how to search for it.

Aaah ... here's the solution I was thinking of:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1024609

Wow, I'm amazed! I've been programming on Windows for nearly 30 years, yet I never encountered this problem before. Nevertheless you're absolutely right Rob. Placing the word "perl" at the start of my command line solved the problem! Sadly, the fix suggested by that article didn't work in my case - but no matter, at least I've got a solution now.

One more question - is there a way to obtain the Windows version information using a perl script? For example, can I obtain the value of WINVER somehow?

Check
https://metacpan.org/pod/Win32#Win32::GetOSDisplayName
and
https://metacpan.org/pod/Win32#Win32::GetOSVersion