On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM, kmx <k...@atlas.cz> wrote:

> On 1.12.2014 16:23, Matthew Persico wrote:
>
>> I see that DBD::Oracle is now included in Strawberry. I'd like to see
>> DBD::Sybase also included.
>>

> Well, I have included Oracle DB driver as it is IMO commercial DB No.1. I
> am not sure how popular Sybase DB is nowadays and how big is its user base
> (esp. among potential strawberry perl users).
>
> The other think is that my Oracle DB related knowledge is quite good
> whereas I know literally nothing about Sybase DB.
>
> That;s ok - I wasn't expecting YOU to do the work.

> I assume the steps to doing so are:
>>
>> 1) Identify a FREE downloadable client library package for Sybase, a'la
>> Oracle Insta-client
>>

> Have you done some research in this area?

Yes. I believe SAP still provides a clean free user client. I have to
review since Sybase has been bought by SAP. If I'm wrong, QED.

> 2) Build using Strawberry
>>    One problem is that the make requires interaction. Is it a problem for
>> your automation if the make prompts for input or can you ignore it?
>>

> Interaction has to be avoided (either by setting proper env variables or
> passing proper command line params to Makefile.PL/Build.PL).
>
> The most important think is that we need DBD::Sybase to be built with
> gcc/mingw-w64 compiler (quite often various SDK's come only with *.lib
> libraries suitable for MSVC compiler).

I currently build DBD::Sybase in Strawberry - the full-blown client install
provides the proper files. I hope the free sdk does.

And it also matters how many megabytes does DBD::Sybase add to strawberry
> perl.

Not more than Oracle, esp if the libs are in an externally installed
client.

> 3) Sumbit "something" to "someone" in order to include. This, of course,
>> is where I need info. :-) Do I pull down a git, modify and create a pull
>> request somewhere? Is there an FAQ on this I missed?
>>

> All modules bundled with strawberry perl are built from sources at
> "release build time". I am not in favor of including packages built by some
> else.

Of course. But I assume that I just can't say "it works, go add it." Don't
I have to give you something? A Bundle file? Some commands? Do I downoad
the Strawberry Perl module from some git server and send you a pul request?

> So there must be a functional unattended installation scenarion how to
> build DBD::Sybase with gcc/mingw-w64 (+ obviously some kind of Sybase
> client library)
>
> And as you might guess the Sybase client library must be available for
> free and for both 32/64bit MS Windows.
>
> Hmm. That may be the deal breaker - I've only got it to successfully work
with the 32 bit version.

> Anyway, do not take this e-mail as a promise of any kind :)

None taken. At least I know you'll consider it so it's worth my while to
continue research.

Thanks

--
Matthew O. Persico