I can't use semi-custom-actions for this particular piece of work because I
need to call an API to get permission to create, delete, or modify these
particular registry keys. I work at a security company where they have
implemented additional security features through drivers that disallow
normal interactions with certain resources. Otherwise, I would totally use
the semi-custom-action approach. I use it right now to add rows to the
RemoveFile table depending on whether we're uninstalling for an upgrade or
not.

In any case, RegDelete appears broken to me. At a minimum, the bitness
should be incorporated into the RegOpen call. Should I file a bug to track?

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Phill Hogland <phogl...@rimage.com> wrote:

> FYI - I just implemented a  semi-custom
> <http://www.joyofsetup.com/2007/07/01/semi-custom-actions/>   action
> using a
> similar implementation as I found in the WixGamingExtension which calls
> WcaAddTempRecord on the Registry table, to allow MSI to manage my registry
> change.  The CA code (specifically the registry path) is agnostic to
> WoW6432Node so that the CA can be built for either Win32 or x64 and used in
> either a x86 or x64 MSI.  I only needed to set Component /@Win64="no" and
> MSI handles the redirection.
>
> The MSI packages are also built using the InstallerPlatform MSBuild
> property
> to set the bitness of the MSI.  For most of the Components I never set
> Win64, but for this registry key setting Win64="no" was needed to get MSI
> redirect the the registry hive.

Edwin G. Castro