Dear Social Studies Colleagues,

Here is some information on a professional development program focused on
teaching and learning about the Japanese American Exclusion during WWII,
taking place on Bainbridge Island, the first community to be relocated into
concentration camps by the US government in 1942.

Thursday,  August 7, 10a-4p
Approaching the Study of Japanese American Exclusion in Elementary &
Secondary Education
Various Sites on Bainbridge Island
Open to Formal & Informal Educators.  Class Size: 8-16
Tuition: $65, includes lunch.  Clock hours available by request.

Through our Only What We Can Carry Project, you will visit key heritage
sites and follow the lives of Bainbridge Island Japanese American Families
who immigrated from Japan, established livelihoods, became citizens, then
were forced into concentration camps during WWII.  Spend the day exploring
historic Suyematsu Farm, Bainbridge Gardens, Bainbridge Island Historical
Museum, and the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Exclusion Memorial.  You
will dialogue with original Bainbridge Islanders whose families lived
through WWII and the Exclusion. The aim of this workshop is to help you as
an educator to bear witness and bring this period of history alive for your
students, while modeling field classes and learning experiences you can
facilitate for students.

To learn more visit:
http://educultureproject.org/owwcc-professional-development/

Or, contact EduCulture by email, ad...@educultureproject.org, or call