John,

It is always best to avoid any sort of hack.
There is always a way around a hack, if that be by adding an extra div.
or changing your menu layout.

Hacks are *last resort* methods to create a layout.

I think a list of _standard hacks_ would just promote the use of hacks, where they are not needed.
That list would become abused - well thats a guess - by newbies to XHTML and CSS...
and it would lead to the same issues we have now - with inaccessability and validation.

my 2 cents,

chris stratford

J4Web wrote:
Hello

I have been reading this list for a few weeks and am finding it very valuable. I think this is my first post.

I am at the stage of teaching myself CSS-P and unravelling the whole issue of standards and accessibility.

I am of course aware that there are all sorts of hacks available to massage standards compliant code for non-compliant browsers.

The question I have been asking myself, and now ask you guys, is:

Would it be beneficial to come up with a list of "Standard Hacks" :-)

I mean by this a list of hacks that could be incorporated into standard CSS templates for beginning new sites, that would save the bother of hacking the most prevalent  problems one by one as they arise.

Perhaps such a list - or even such a template - exists already?

Thanks

John Saward