Chris Stratford wrote:

It is always best to avoid any sort of hack.

It's important to remember why hacks exist in the first place. More often than not, it's because a browser either doesn't support a feature of CSS, or worse, supports it incorrectly.

There is always a way around a hack, if that be by adding an extra div.

Adding an extra div is hacking the mark-up, which I think is much worse.

Hacks are *last resort* methods to create a layout.

Depends on the hack. For example, hiding style rules from NN4 with @-rules is almost alway better than changing your layout.

I think a list of _standard hacks_ would just promote the use of hacks, where they are not needed.

If you include comments about when and why to use it and not to use it the problem should be kept to a minimum.