Well; I am surprised, but pleased actually, that so many of you are saying that hacks are not part of the Standards Arsenal. I had got the impression that I needed to become familiar with gadzillian hacks and be able to draw the appropriate one out of the woodwork every ten lines of CSS code. But I am getting the message that one can produce Standards Compliant pages without hacking.

I am not quite totally convinced, though, and some of the replies have gone in the direction of supporting a "big fat list", if not including some hacks in standard templates.

I wondered if there are some workarounds that people on this list use habitually and forget they use them, so I did a quick sample of some of the URLs at the bottom of peoples' posts and the only hack I found so far (but I have not searched very thoroughly) was on the webstandards.org.au site :

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/stylesheets/wsg_main.css" type="text/css" media="screen"

Is the import hack a candidate for first (or sole) item on the list of standard hacks?

It seems pretty essential to me to get version 4 browsers to degrade gracefully.

I am enjoying learning from those who have been in this game much longer than me.

John