I just think it is a little simplistic and idealistic to tell newcomers to css that all hacks are bad.

Good post Scott...It's a relief seeing real world scenarios used to backup reasons and choices. I'm often surprised at the number of "educate your clients to understand why they cannot have their design looking the way they want it when the other design company down the road CAN do it (even though their source is frightening!)" etc... type arguments raised. I don't now about everyone else but I already spent huge amounts of time educating clients about everything from content classification to signatures in emails to what a web browser is. When I get them to follow the need for standards then that in itself is a good enough step for me.

Honestly how many clients have the time to be constantly educated on the ins and outs of web site development? As I see it for most clients before the web there was print (mmm still is...but get the idea) and how often did they need to learn about the ins and outs of how their brochure was put together and why this may not line up exactly with that, etc...

Anyway, to re-emphasise John's question:

"Would it be beneficial to come up with a list of "Standard Hacks" :-)"

He merely asked if a list of standard/stroke common hacks would be useful, not whether hacks are good/bad or should/shouldn't be used. Personally, I'd say it would be useful for the reason I cited in an earlier post and whether you use them or not is dependant on your real world situation.

Nick