yes - it is no big deal as an individual act, but in aggregate
contributes to the advere side of the S:N ratio. The fact that it is
demonstrably totally unnecessary makes it all the more irritating.
Yes, I could write a filter to catch these messages, but this is the
21st century, there are email transfer standards, we have 24 hr
wireless pizza delivery, and I shouldn't have to.

You wouldn't put up with a web page that forced you to read a short
message and hit the delete key before seeing the rest of the page.
Chances are you would probably not go there more than twice (the
second time to confirm, 'are you for real?!').

If people are already at borderline S:N, 'a very small amount of time'
is it all it is going to take to push them over the 'unsubscribe' edge
and seek their web standards jollies elsewhere.

Also, it is the professionalism thing...

jim