In order to comply with Success Criterion 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks – you must
provide a mechanism to “bypass blocks of content that are repeated on multiple
Web pages. (Level A)"

One of the “sufficient techniques” recommended by the W3C for bypassing blocks
is the use of skip links.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G1.html>

Aria Landmarks are great for some user types and well supported by JAWS, NVDA,
OSX VoiceOver (reasonably well supported by WindowEyes).

However, these landmark roles do not help those who may not use a mouse for a
variety of reasons (such as some sort of motor skill issue etc). So, using a
combination of skip links and landmarks may be better.

A lot of mixed opinions on skip links but some general principles

1. include skip links if at all possible
2. keep them simple - like a simple "skip to content" only
3. if possible make them visible
4. if you cannot make them visible, make them focus/active visible:
<http://maxdesign.com.au/jobs/example-skip/03.htm>

Be aware that some browsers don't play well with skip links.

Thanks
Russ